Flowered cupcake

Flowered cupcake

Monday, August 6, 2012

Wedding Mints (Not Cakes)


Okay, you caught me! This is not a cake. Nor was it a job. Not really, anyway. So here's how this happened:

(I know you're just on the edge of your seat!!!)

One of the ladies at church (Yup, church again!) was trying to get me a job doing cupcakes for her neighbor's wedding. Last week she informed me that cupcakes had already been ordered, but the bride-to-be was wondering if I make wedding mints. It went like this:

Jane: "Do you make wedding mints?"
Me: "I'll let you know next week."

So next week was here and I had hopped on to Pinterest (Oh, we love Pinterest!). I have found that most wedding butter mint recipes are fairly similar and it's actually pretty easy to do. Now, as you all have come to realize I am not used to the whole 'taking pictures of every single step' thing. I did remember to snap a few though, whether you like it or not!

First you take the butter and cream cheese and melt 'em. (Whoa, I can hear the Peanut Butter and Jelly song in my head...). This step was not pictured.  Then turn off the burner and you add a small amount of the powdered sugar (not pictured either) stirring it in. I also added peppermint extract, food coloring and vanilla extract at this point. After stirring in the rest of the sugar it looked like this blob down here:




Now, the recipe I used said to pipe out the mints with a pastry bag, but it wasn't working for me since I use the disposables.



It felt like the bag was going to burst so I went for plan B: Rolling it into doughy snakes or into sheets and cutting it with a knife.



And they came out like:


And closer they were like:




They weren't the prettiest of things but they did come out really tasty. I decided I want to add a bit more peppermint next time I make them. I will likely cut them with a pizza cutter next time or get a candy mold depending on what customers prefer. They are stored in the fridge or freezer since they are made with cream cheese and butter.

This batch was cut in half since I was just trying it out. The recipe came from Here (Sweet and Saucy). I bagged them up and was off to church yesterday to give out samples. If I can figure out how to edit posts I've already made I will add photos of any 'Mint Jobs' I do!





Leave comments and questions or any other feedback you have for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment